Mediterranean (noun) - the land surrounding the Mediterranean Sea including the southern part of Europe and the northern part of Africa.

Mastication (verb) - to chew; biting and grinding food in your mouth so it becomes soft enough to swallow.

Join me on this culinary adventure as I endeavour to chronicle my gorging habits whilst making my way along the Mediterranean encompassing Morocco, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece & Turkey, with a pit stop at Oktoberfest in Munich on the way home for good measure!

I am going to attempt to visit the local markets, eat the regional specialties and even try to recreate some of the culinary delights within various hostel kitchens across southern Europe.

So sit back & enjoy whilst I try and whet your appetite from the other side of the world!



Sunday, September 26, 2010

And to wash it all down...

Dear Masticators,

As they say all good things must come to an end... and 4 months, 8 countries, and countless items of deliciousness later it has come to the final post. So what better way to finish the gastronomic journey from Morrocco to Turkey then with a pitstop at the worlds biggest beer festival. Oktoberfest I'm sure needs no introduction, as it is one of the most famous events in Germany and the world's largest fair, with some six million people attending every year.

A typical day at Oktoberfest goes a little something like this...

BREAKFAST


LUNCH


DINNER


SNACKS


And it helps to have a high tech beer-tracking system...


Ok enough stupidity, in all seriousness visitors to Oktoberfest eat huge amounts of traditional hearty fare such as -

Hendl (roast chicken) en masse

Traditional Bavarian beer snack - fresh sliced garden radish served with buttered bread and chives

Brezn (Pretzel)

Half crispy knuckle of pork with potato dumpling, cabbage salad and dark beer gravy

Steckerlfisch (grilled fish on a stick)

Würstl (sausages)

Other specialities served include Schweinsbraten (roast pork), Schweinshaxe (ham hock), Knödel (potato or bread dumplings), Kasspatzn (cheese noodles), Reiberdatschi (potato pancakes), Sauerkraut or Blaukraut (red cabbage) along with such Bavarian delicacies as Obatzda (a spiced cheese-butter spread) and Weisswurst (a white sausage).

But really let's not lie... it's all about the beer. And it's true - no hangovers!

So that's it. Thank you so very much to all of those who have read this blog & provided encouragement/comments along the way. I have really enjoyed all the research (gee it's been tough) and sharing all the different cuisines I have sampled along the way.

Beslama/Adios/Arrivederci/Bog/Antio/Hoscakal/Auf Wiedersehen!
Courtney

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to you Courtney - it's been great following you around. Did you really eat heaps? Did you put on any weight? Hope you don't find life at home too difficult to adjust to! Jane Zag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court, going to be great to have you home even though it means no more blog posts to salivate over! Perhaps you've picked up some cooking tips you want to try out?....
    Absolute cracking effort, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want it to end! And I was only reading ( plus a whole lot of eating with my eyes). I can imagine that u didn't want it to end either. I've really enjoyed your journey. I've visited a few of the places you write about but you have given me a whole new perspective on them. Plus some additions to my list of places I'd like to visit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete